Namaste!

Welcome to my blogger page! I hope you enjoy it!!!! Please leave comments and I'll return the favor!! :)

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Trip To Japan: An expressive piece that demonstrates correct dialogue form

I sat on my bed staring at the phone that lay by my side trying to muster up the courage to call my best friend and let her in on the bad news. She’s been my best friend since forever. We’ve been through everything together, even remarkably her ex-boyfriend Justin. She loved him so much but the guy cheated on her. She was torn but broke up with him and the only way to heal her broken heart was for her and me to go on this trip to Japan. Oh god. The guilt grew like weeds in a garden.  I took a deep breath then slowly, mostly unconsciously, I dialed Cecilia’s number. It rang once, then twice as I twirled a loose thread in my jeans that would surely rip a hole in them if I twirled it any tighter.
            “Hello?”
            “CC, hey.” To my dismay, my voice was shaky. I squeezed my eyes shut afraid to continue talking, afraid that the news would slip foolishly from my tongue and shatter her heart, and most likely our friendship.
            “Danika? Helloo?” She sounded impatient as she always did when I didn’t just get to the point.
            Finally, after several long minutes, it seemed, I said, “You know that trip we’ve been talking about and planning for? The one to Japan…”
            “Yeah of course. Duh. So when are we going to be able to hang out and go shopping and oh my goodness Danika we could get matching boots!” She sounded so happy it made my heart break in two. I took another deep breath still twirling the small thread.
            “Cc, I’m so sorry but I’m not taking you anymore.” As soon as the sentence left my lips I felt like throwing up from guilt.  The thread finally broke exposing a small portion of my knee. My heart raced ready to hear the click of the phone when she hung up on me. I knew she wouldn’t do that but the tension of the moment dared me to believe otherwise.
            “But, why not me? Who are you taking then?” I could hear the tears and the fury in her voice.
            “Because Cc, I’m not okay?  I’m taking someone else; I’ve changed my mind ok? Does that answer your question?” I clenched my jaw holding back the tears and my lunch.
            She was quiet for a second, and then replied. “No,” She paused. “You didn’t tell me who you were taking.”
That’s when I hung up, suddenly more nauseous than I’ve ever been. I was not about to tell her that the person I was taking was Justin.

2 comments:

  1. Your personality seems to show in everything that you write. It makes everything interesting. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This would make a great soap opera! The speaker seems so sympathetic to her friend in the beginning, and yet she turns out to have her own agenda. Well done!

    ReplyDelete